Friday, December 30, 2011


So it was decided a couple of months ago that if I was given the opportunity to train in Australia, then I should take advantage of the opportunity and warm weather and go.

After talking with the parents about concerns and questions and getting a game plan for training and my racing schedule, it was time to fly. BUT first I had to get back to the west coast from my Mississippi Christmas trip.

So after (what seemed) a long day of travel, I was in an LAX hotel, riding the stationary bike in the hotel exercise room, getting ready for my big haul to Perth.

The plane took off from LA at 10:15pm and guess who had the lucky middle seat!!!! MEEEEEEE:) hahahah! Oh well, at least I’m going to be so covered on my mileage with United! I was lucky enough to have good seat mates, a Navy Seal to my left and a college student going to visit her boyfriend to my right. We had good conversation and Lindsey (seat mate right) had stayed in Sydney for a while prior to this visit and gave us some pointers. A couple of hours in, they fed us dinner - rubber beef or rubber chicken - chicken please! Choked that down w/ a Crown and Sprite and an Ambien and I was out for about 5hrs. When I woke up and moved around for another hour, they fed us a turkey sandwich. I think this is the point they shift from US time to Auzzy time, cause our last meal before landing was breakfast - apple pancakes or egg omelet.

Once we landed and everyone had their customs cards filled out, it was time for the lines, which I thought was pretty efficient, even though it took an hour to get from immigration, bags, customs, checking in, it wasn’t that bad! So once through and in the Qantas terminal, I got a little snack, did some shopping and laid down for a nap - one more plane ride.

This one was the was the hardest flight to deal with, my legs hurt so bad, so I was fidgeting so much! I felt sorry for the guy beside me cause I was constantly squirming:) hehehe....

And here I am! I was picked up from the airport at 4pm, got my bike put together, unloaded and settled by 8pm, had dinner and went to bed. Of course I made the mistakes of trying to get in on the driver’s side and was confused about all the driving on the opposite sides of the road but after this morning’s ride, I’m slowly getting used to it.

I’m acclimating to the time pretty well. I’ve walked to the store, enjoying the warm air and sunshine, bought the local newspaper and sorting out the difference in the coins versus ours. Their 10 cents look like our nickles and the coins are heavier. The paper money is softer but very similar to the US dollar. The following pictures are from my walk to the store. I will update in a couple of days!!! Happy New Years!

Local birds....

Today's market run....2 blocks from the house...
It's always interesting to see the differences in countries...
The road I walked..
More signage....
The view walking into the apartment complex...

Listening: interesting bird noises
Reading: maps of Perth for cycling
Watching: the road! Keep on the correct side;)
Eating: yummy oranges


  1. Lucky you! How long will you be there? Enjoy!!!!

  2. Erin, I'm here for a month:)

    Michelle, I'm doing it!!!! hahahaha!

  3. Those streets look familiar...oh, yeah! I saw them just five days ago!!! Ha! Love the blog, Lauren!