Monday, April 18, 2011

Hello from Tucson

Yep, last weekend Anniston, AL, this past weekend Tucson, AZ.

After Anniston, I flew home on Monday. Michael had a rider in Tucson he needed to help and asked if I wanted to head south for more warm weather. It wasn't too bad in Dolores but cold enough for warm clothing, so if I could go warm I would and I did. So Tuesday morning, I got in a quick 1hr 1/2 spin, re-packed the bags(took 2 seconds) and piled in the truck.

The 8hr drive kind of put a hurtin on me, I was just tired of traveling but once we got to our destination I was happy:) So that rider Michael needed to help just happens to be Clara Hughes, click on her name and it will be clear why I decided to fight it out in the car:)

You can learn a lot from someone like her, on and off the bike. She has a wonderful personality, she is competitive as hell and knows that everyday is a gift. So Wednesday thru Saturday we rode together and I got in some good quality miles.

Saturday we participated in the famous Tucson Shootout ride. The ride is full of strong people and is just as hard as the rides in Durango, lots of pros, lots of strong people, doing some hard training as well. The ride started at 6:30am-yes early, but totally understandable! And we rolled back into town by about 9ish. So a few of us hit the coffee shop for a minute before riding home at about 10:30, yep, by 11 I was done riding for the day. And good thing because it has been getting really hot here already.

The difference in this heat vs MS heat-NO HUMIDITY...DRY, DRY, DRY. And if you run out of water it is a REALLY bad thing! So I've been drinking lots of fluids off the bike as well to stay hydrated.

Sunday, I raced a criterium here in Tucson with my teammate Kristin Sanders, it was a last minute decision on my part and a good decision it was. We won! She soloed away from the field and I stayed in the pack to make sure know one caught her and to sprint for 2nd, which I did :)

It was a great decision to come to Tucson. I leave to go back to Colorado today but first gonna go for one more hot spin:)!

Next up, I fly home on Thursday for Easter, see my nephew, help around the house and getting in some good riding before heading to the USA Crit Series....

Happy Monday!

1 comment: