Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bikes in schools

Showing off the awesome kit;)
Describing gel packs and other 'on bike' food

Vera Bradley "Loves me" print
Whoa, time flies when you are having fun:)

So the last time I was in town(Christmas) I had the opportunity to speak to 5th and 6th graders of St. Francis Elementary about cycling, nutrition and goals. It was such a great experience, that I asked the teacher if I could speak again when I came back in town post Joe Martin. The teacher, Mindy Giambrone was more than happy to have me back but this time I spoke to her 7th and 8th grade PE classes-all girls!

Also, this visit I wanted to bring in more than just my road bike and kit. So I talked to Jayce Powel at Indian Cycle in Jackson to see if they would let me borrow a Specialized Transition(time trial bike) and a time trial helmet. I also was looking for Kroger(local grocery store) to donate some food items for the talk. I wanted to talk to the girls about nutrition a bit more extensively seeing that this time in their lives, they become a lot more aware of body image.

Jayce was awesome and had everything ready when I got to the shop and they even through in some water bottles to give out to the girls after the talk! Thanks Indian Cycle!!!

Kroger on the other hand didn't think that the school visit was important enough to donate $30 worth of product.....carrots, humus, apples, almond butter, plates, cups and toothpics....oh well, live and learn.

So the first talk on Wednesday was with the 8th grade girls and when I mentioned Team VERA BRADLEY Foundation, their eyes lit up:) They enjoyed seeing all the Specialized equipment, I showed them how the shoes and pedals work, showed them the kit and how we riders get to items in our back pockets and I described racing in general, as well as racing for a cause. Then we talked nutrition and brought them over to the 'food' table and by the time we finished the talk, all food was eaten and even though some turned their nose up to the almond butter at least they got to experience different foods and understand nutrition a bit better.

I also had the chance to talk to them about the ugly four letter word, DIET! We also talked calories burned and calories consumed and that fast food doesn't count in my calories consumed column AT ALL! So all in all, it was an AWESOME talk and I hope I got through to a couple of the girls, if not on cycling at least a bit on nutrition and health and just exercise in general.

Next up was the 7th grade girls. It is amazing what a year in adolescence does to the brain! These girls were more interested in the sport and the bars, gels and drinks we cyclists use. Might be seeing some more pro cyclists coming from MS in the future??? I hope so:)

So after that day(Wednesday), I had another school visit on Friday to 75 6th graders, post state testing. What a combination right???

BUT FIRST....I had the opportunity to speak on a local radio station Friday morning. Every Friday the station has an hour devoted to sports. I felt honored that they invited me to join them so that they and their listeners could learn a bit more about women's cycling!!! That hour FLEW by! I could've talked for 3 more at least! We talked about safety and coexistence between cyclists and cars and some local roads(MRT) that are cycling safe, my athletic background, training, health, nutrition and the bikes in general:)

So after the radio show, I got in a quick 2hr ride, then home to change for the school visit.....I was a busy gal:)

It was also at the end of the school day at Bowmar Ele., so these kids were already looking forward to the bell ringing but with a little help from one of the students trying to put the TT helmet on wrong we all enjoyed the talk and by the time I left the school I was starting to loose my voice! I don't ever talk that much;) Plus, Vicksburg-Warren School District filmed the talk and said they would get me a CD, looking forward to that. I would like to see what I need to tweak on the talks because this is something I'm really enjoying and want to continue.

Guess how I ended the day.....driving to Mudbugs in Jackson for crawfish, crab legs and shrimp and brought it home so mom and dad and I could sit outside, enjoy a cold beer and some good grub. I was asleep by 9:)


1 comment:

  1. wow. What a fun time!

    You shoulda told me and I would have contributed for the treats!!! It's nice to visit schools, isn't it?

    Love the photos - it's hard to tell who's teacher and student? ;)

    ReplyDelete